Sunday, June 17, 2012

Eating Big in the Big Easy

So little time, so much good food! That best describes my recent trip to New Orleans, LA.

I've been to NOLA a number of times, but this was my first trip since expanding my culinary viewpoint, which has just happened in the past couple of years. In the past I wouldn't touch anything that resembled fresh seafood or anything with a little bit of spice added to it. On this trip, I couldn't get enough of either!

Fast Eddie joined me on what was a business trip for me and a vacation (and first time ever visit) for him to the Big Easy. While I worked, he explored the city, took pictures, and came back at the end of each day to declare that there were 10 more places that we had to try for dinner. Like I said, so little time...

We started our culinary journey on the first day at a tourist trap down on the Riverwalk. We knew it was such when we walked in, but, having just gotten off the plane we were starving and wanted something near the hotel. And, since I (finally) knew how much I like oysters, I just had to try them!

First, a dozen grilled.

Add a few alligator bites on the side..


But, I was still hungry, so I just had to have some of those raw oysters!

All in all, it wasn't a bad meal, considering that it was truly an overpriced tourist joint. But I knew there were better things to come!

Since I tend to live on Starbucks Raspberry Latte when on the road, I was quite hungry each evening come dinner time. We had some pretty phenomenal dinners, including this thick beautiful bowl of Red Beans & Rice at a litle cafe near the hotel.


A killer breakfast, with grits mind you, at The Ruby Slipper. I forgot to take food pictures here and we hoped to return before the end of the trip, but alas, didn't make it.


The sad thing about this trip was that each time a fantastic plate of food was placed in front of me, I dove right into it before remembering to take a picture of it! It happened at The Ruby Slipper, and then again when we went to Mother's for the best po-boys on earth!

My friend, who is Creole and from New Orleans, highly recommended that we eat here. At first I was hesitant. Peeking in the window, it looked like a small overcrowded diner. Being the snob that I am, I wanted white table cloths and a nice glass of Cabernet with my dinner. But to appease my first-time visitor/hubby, I consented and we went in. In retrospect, Fast Eddie should have smacked me upside the head for being so bratty, because I had the most mouth-watering delicious grilled shrimp po-boy that God has ever created! And of course, I forgot to take pictures, because I was too busy eating! So unfortunately, again, all you get is the sign.



But the truth of the matter is that if you're ever in NOLA, you must eat at Mother's! Lines form for breakfast, lunch & dinner, so, get there early! The place is much bigger than I thought, it has a wonderful history to it, and the food is beyond fantastic!

In between work and dinner (the only 2 reasons for my existence in New Orleans!), we walked one day to a butcher shop for some fresh deli meat. We had some fresh rolls, so we stocked up on some chorizo and sopresatta sausage, and of course got an order of Boudin - a white sausage made of pork liver and heart meat, without the blood - this according to my Creole friend who explained it to me days later, thank heavens. Had I known beforehand what I was eating, I probably wouldn't have eaten it! But it sure was good!

The lady on the left is the butcher. She told Fast Eddie that she could butcher a whole hog in 20 minutes! You know that got his juices running!



We had a hard time choosing which meats to order..


My friend also directed us to Dragos Seafood Restaurant. Knowing how excited I was about eating Bubba's chargrilled oysters in Savannah, she said that Dragos was a "must try". Although it seemed that I ate nothing but oysters the entire trip, I knew I was saving the best oysters for last!



Naturally, the first thing I ordered was a dozen chargrilled oysters. And naturally, I was so excited to eat them that I didn't think once about taking a picture of them, until I was down to the last one! Rather than share my empty oyster shells with you, you'll just have to take my word for it that these were the best grilled oysters on earth! Succulent, tender, warm, fat, juicy beautiful oysters! I really had to stop myself from ordering another dozen!

Instead, for my second plate, I ordered the fried oysters atop spinach, with a creamy brie sauce. I figured the spinach would be good for me, since I hadn't eaten a single vegetable yet on this trip. I did however remember to take a picture of this beauty, before I scraped the plate clean!


Fast Eddie enjoyed some fresh shrimp remoulade which he allowed me to taste! YUM! I'm not sure whose 2nd course I liked better!



Since we had a late flight out on our final day, we signed up to take a cooking class early in the day at a place called Crescent City Cooks, located in the Riverwalk near the hotel. Our teacher, Scott, was fantastic! He had some good stories, was very descriptive with each step that he took during the cooking processes, and wove in a lot of information about the Cajuns and the Creoles, which I found especially interesting. He cooked and then we ate: Chicken & Andouille Sausage Gumbo, Jambalaya, and Bananas Foster - for dessert.

Here's Scott, getting his roux on...nice and dark for the gumbo..


After the chicken and sausage are added, look at how delicious that looks!
 

Eating it was even better!

The jambalaya was delicious, although I've been spoiled by my Creole friend's version.


And it was interesting to hear how Bananas Foster came to get its name, as well as to watch it evolve, from a pan of bananas and butter..


To adding the rum and waiting for the flame (so I could capture the picture)...

To the big finale!


I have probably traveled to New Orleans a dozen times in my lifetime. But it wasn't until I met my Creole girlfriend a few years ago, that I (now) finally understand some of the heritage and culture that makes New Orleans the wonderful place that it is.

Katrina changed much of the landscape, and moved different cultures out of or into different neighborhoods of New Orleans. It has changed tremendously from when I (first) visited in the 1980's and again in the early 90's. As a tourist, I will probably never see the real side of New Orleans. But I can say that the food remains as delicious today as it did oh so many years ago - especially since I am now older & wiser & appreciate it so much more than I did way back then.

So if you like to eat, and you don't mind the heat, grab your hat and get on down to New Orleans! And be sure to tell 'em (S)Marty sent you!



1 comment:

  1. You made me quite jealous of your trip to the Big Easy! What a yummy time!

    ReplyDelete